Wednesday, January 19, 2011

wroth

My first day's reading (which I clearly did a long time ago, ahem, ahem) contained both Genesis 4 and Matthew 2. And both those chapters feature people who are very wroth. In Genesis 4, it's Cain, and it goes like this: "And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell." And in Matthew, it goes like this: "Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceedingly wroth, and sent forth, and slew all of the children that were in Bethlehem and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men."

In both cases, these wroth people aren't getting what they want (respect, information), and in both cases, they murder for it (Abel, the Innocents).

I don't really have a point here. I was just struck by the word and how it sounds much angrier and hotter than any of the words we use for being angry, like "furious," which is how the NIV translates the word in Matthew. I know it's out of use now (though Brooke tells me she knew a New Zealander who used it), but might it be time to bring back "wroth"?

1 comment:

  1. I keep looking at this and wondering whether or not it would be appropriate to bring "wroth" back in my comments on students' papers... ;)

    ReplyDelete