Friday, January 14, 2011

Food and Toil

First off, the poetry of "and the evening and the morning were the x day" is just incredible.

But to food and toil.  So, We Fall.  And we remember what our Lord says after this:

17.  And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it; cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18.  Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19. In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground, for out of it wast thou taken:  for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
23.  Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
Okay.  Wendell Berry and others like him have, for years now, decried a food production system that removes us from how that which we eat is created, nurtured, grown.  Disconnecting people from what they eat leads, these folks contend, away from and understanding of the processes of life, death, pain, etc., those things that underpin existence.  I'm not trying to advocate their view here (though I am, to be honest, sympathetic to it).  Rather, I'm struck by what the Scriptures say about eating, and this most basic of practices having some significant metaphysical and existential implications.

In 3:19, God makes clear here that we will die, and when we die, we will return to the dust of which we were made.   Four verses later, in 3:23, we are told that Adam then must till the ground--that very thing to which he shall return--to eat.  Scripturally, eating is a memento mori.

Of course, this prefigures communion; we eat of Christ's body and blood to remember his sacrifice ("Do this in remembrance of me" was carved in large letters on the altar in my church as a boy).  Yet, as Christians, I think we've compartmentalized this; we see the taking of the host and wine as some sort of isolated thing.  But in the beginning--literally immediately afterwards--eating was death.  Eating brought about death (2:17, for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die), and very process of creating food is a perpetual reminder of our Fall.    To eat is to live, but also to be reminded of death; not just Christ's sacrificial death when we eat the communion wafer, but of our death, our depravity, our limitation and Fallen state as humans each time we put food to our lips.

As we live in a world where most of us are not involved in the toil to which Adam was cursed, we are able to ignore the death associated with food.  Our death, our damnation.  But reading the opening passages of Genesis, I'm forced back into consideration of this.

I'm about to go and get lunch.  When I was a child, the blessing my family said over every meal was simple--"Thank you Father for this food.  Bless it and bless us, in Jesus' name we pray and for His sake, amen."  Simple, appropriate thankfulness.  There's a humility in thankfulness.  But today, I go to eat with a different sort of humility, a humility knowing that every bite I take connects me back to the beginning, to my Fall, to my sin, to my death, and a humility that recognizes that this is corrected, put right, only by Christ's body and blood, a meal I take at a different table.

Postscript--There's a lot more of this in Chapters 4 and 5.  Cain and Abel.  Blood spilled over, what else, food.  Lamech, Noah's father--"5:29.  And he called his name Noah, saying, this same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the Lord hath cursed."  Toil, food.  Death, the cursed ground.  And Noah, literally, my references tell me, meaning rest.  The spilling of Christ's blood, the food we eat to commemorate that, the rest we are promised in that--and on and on and on.  
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. And in the New Jerusalem, one powerful image given us is that of an enormous banquet, eating that will no longer be about death, for death shall be no more, but about life and communion and joy. It seems that feasting with friends can give us a little glimpse of that day even now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive the lengthy comment. Your post stirred up something I’ve been thinking a lot about.

    I have lately been sort of obsessed with the idea of our bodies as “from/of the earth.” For me this comes as an image of our bodies being drawn back to that from which they came—an inevitable pull toward death. Our bodies are some how unable to be separated from the earth. In this image, gravity becomes a metaphor for our physical state; our bodies are irrevocably connected to the earth.

    Along with that, I have been thinking about how our appetites connect us to and demonstrate the inevitability of death. If you think about our appetites in the sense that they are our drive toward reproduction and survival, they are futile as a means to ward off death. Your post highlights this in another way. The very act of eating is both a reminder of our inevitable death and of our futile drive to survive.

    In connection with the idea of our bodies’ appetites, I have been thinking about the biblical idea of the flesh. Traditionally the flesh has been considered evil in comparison to the spirit. It seems, though, as if God is attempting to free us from the flesh not because it is evil but because it is bound to death. Therefore, if we are subject to our appetites, we are subject to death and despair. So when we are told, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust of it; but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever,” it is to free us death by minimizing its power to take from us (I John 2:15-17). If these lusts, that of the flesh for food and sex, that of the eyes for possession of (rather than participation in) beauty, that of the pride of life for the sake of power and possession by which one can ensure longer and more desirable survival, are the goals of ones life, death has incredible power and despair is the only possible end as death comes and the body is drawn back to dust. God desires that we be free from these lusts so that we may be free from death’s power.

    I’m sure this is in some way completely obvious to most, but for me, having been brought up to see my flesh as evil, this is a new idea. I love to see ways that God goes about freeing us. This is one of those moments to me. Understanding that God desires my freedom from these lusts, not because they are evil, but because they are bound to death not only helps to free me from the lusts themselves but also from the impression that I ought to suffer and sacrifice my fleshly desires because I and they are evil. These lusts lose their glamour and forbiddenness when they are seen in this light. They are not lovely things that I should deny myself, they are of the body and as the body is “of the earth” they are of the earth and are necessarily perishing.

    The connection you draw in your post about communion adds a beautiful dimension of the resurrection of the body to this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that said, I don't believe that sex and food are in themselves death. I don't want to perpetuate the religious or literary tropes that link sex and death. I do, however, think that being controlled by these appetites is, in some way, submission to our perishable bodies. This is tricky, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is tricky. I think too that the incarnation and the resurrection of Christ in a body also give us good grounds for thinking our way out of a gnostic view of the body. Definitely good issues to grapple with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete