Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Astonied

I ran across this great archaic word--astonied, past tense of astony--this morning in Ezra 9, twice in as many verses. In my ear I at first heard the [o] vowel as long, as in stone, but it turns out to be an [a], as in astonished. The definition I liked the best was "briefly deprived of the power to act." When was the last time anything made me sit astonied all day? And then Ezra's prayer of contrition at the time of the evening sacrifice. It makes me sit astonied, for a full five minutes, and long for God to stir me, us, with His reality...

1 comment:

  1. Mmm. A good word. Literally and figuratively! Haha. Someday I'll make it to Ezra! Haha. I've sort of abandoned the schedule because it was making me discouraged. But I read on. And I'm inspired by your faithfulness. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete