Thursday, June 23, 2011

on rejection

This morning I read 1 Samuel 8, which recounts Israel's request for a human king. This request is tantamount to the people rejecting Samuel, who has acted as priest and prophet at God's appointment since his youth. But also, the Israelites' desire for a king is an effective rejection of God, as demonstrated by the exchanges first between Samuel and the people and then between Samuel and God:

4Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah 5and said to him, Behold, you are old and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the nations. 6But the thing displeased Samuel when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed to the LORD. 7And the LORD said to Samuel, Obey the voice of the people in all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them.

The thing that strikes me here is how personally painful this rejection feels, especially to God, who sounds downright sad: "for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected me from being king over them." I know that God's emotions shouldn't surprise me, but they do. Clearly God is not a human, but God is a person and has the emotions of a person. Or I guess the better way to say it might be that since we are made in his image, we have emotions, just like he does. Maybe because of the incarnation, I think of Christ as the part of the Trinity with emotions. But I think that view of God is not nearly holistic enough (which I realize my view never will be, finite and all). Anyway, this made me feel sad for God, who was sad when his people, whom he has preserved despite their waywardness, want to be like everyone else, which means looking to a human rather than to him. It is good for me to hear his sad voice here and remember that his desire for our obedience isn't just the result of some rigid standard, but of the affection of a person who is more committed to us than we can know.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Ali, this slays me. What grief God is able to feel, caused by His people's twisted vision of Him and His goodness. And I know that I have often lacked a vision for God that made everything else pale in comparison. It reminds me of my cousins who shake their heads now, but remember being kids and begging their mother not to send them to school with homemade bread for their sandwiches. Please, Mom, can't we have Wonderbread like all the other kids?

    ReplyDelete